SAE J1939 Starter Kit And Network Simulator
Please consider the following alternative
The Extended Edition is 100% compatible but provides additional features such as time stamping, data recording to SD card, and more. We have lowered the price to match that of the Standard version.
Our JCOM.J1939 Starter Kit And Network Simulator is designed to allow the experienced engineer as well as the beginner to experiment with SAE J1939 data communication without the need of connecting to a real-world J1939 network, i.e. a diesel engine. It may sound obvious, but in order to establish a network, you need at least two nodes, and that fact applies especially to CAN/J1939 where the CAN Bus controller will basically shut down after transmitting data without receiving a response. For that reason, our JCOM.J1939 Starter Kit And Network Simulator consists of two J1939 nodes, namely our JCOM.J1939.USB, an SAE J1939 ECU Simulator Board With USB Port.
The jCOM.J1939.USB gateway board is a high-performance, low-latency vehicle network adapter for SAE J1939 applications. The board supports the full SAE J1939 protocol according to J1939/81 Network Management (Address Claiming) and J1939/21 Transport Protocol (TP).
The idea behind the network simulator is to connect both nodes to the same PC (two PCs will do, too) and running two instances of our jCOM1939 Monitor Software after assigning the boards to their corresponding COM port.
SAE J1939 Literature
However, SAE J1939 is more than just data transfer. SAE J1939 is a sophisticated and powerful serial protocol based on Controller Area Network (CAN Bus).
Its use goes well beyond exchanging PGNs (Parameter Group Numbers).
If you want to understand the node address claim procedure or how to request PGNs, please consider our book A Comprehensible Guide to J1939. It is available in print as well as a PDF download.
The USB driver software supports a variety of operating systems as shown below. Most operating systems, such as Windows or Linux, will recognize the USB port and install the appropriate driver automatically. However, should that not be the case, please download the driver for your operating system as indicated below:
- Windows 7/8/8.1/10
- Windows XP/Server 2003/Vista/7/8/8.1
- Windows 2K
- WinCE 6.0
- WinCE 5.0
- Macintosh OSX
- Linux 3.x.x
- Linux 2.6.x
- Android (Application Note - PDF)...
The communication protocol between the gateway and the host system (PC, Embedded System, Android System, etc.) is well documented, and we provide C/C# source code to read and write CAN data frames.
In addition, the gateway is supported by our jCOM1939 Monitor, an SAE J1939 Monitoring, Analyzer and ECU Simulation software under Windows.
The JCOM1939 Monitor Software is the perfect tool to monitor, analyze, and simulate SAE J1939 data traffic. The system combines our jCOM.J1939.USB that functions as an SAE J1939 to USB (or UART) gateway. A comprehensive and easy-to-use, easy-to-understand Windows software displays not only SAE J1939 data traffic; it also allows to scan the network, simulate an ECU (incl. full node address negotiation features), and respond to data request messages.
jCOM.J1939.USB General Features:
- Full SAE J1939 Protocol on chip
- Virtually OS independent
- Easily adaptable; just access the COM port
- Works with PCs, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Teensy, Arduino
- Protocol is well documented
- C source code available
- Windows tool: jCOM1939 Monitor
- Power applied through USB port
- Operating Range: -40...+85 C
- Power consumption 0.486W - 0.097A @ 5VDC
(Average; Changes with CAN Bus load)
- Board dimensions (W x L ): 52 x 78 ; 2.05" x 3.07"
Supported SAE J1939 Features Include:
- Hardware is fully SAE J1939/1x compliant
- Switchable termination resistor
- SAE J1939/21 - Data Link Layer
- SAE J1939/81 - Network Management
- Setup of Preferred Node Address
- Adjustable Node Address Negotiation Range
- Message Filters
- Full Network Communication incl. Transport Protocol
- Design Tx Messages Incl. Transmission Rate
- Configuration of Request Responses
- Configuration of Request Messages
- Network Scanner (Creates a list of all nodes in the network)
- Connecting the jCOM.j1939.USB Board Hardware...
- jCOM.J1939.USB Serial Communication Protocol...
- SAE J1939 ECU Simulator And Data Monitor for Raspberry Pi...
- FREE Add-On: jCOM1939 Monitor, SAE J1939 Monitoring, Analyzer and ECU Simulation software for Windows...
- Programming the SAE J1939 ECU Simulator Board Using Visual Studio C#...
- Simulating SAE J1939 PGNs Used By Truck & Bus FMS (Fleet Management System) Standard...
- SAE J1939 Address Claim Procedure - SAE J1939/81 Network Management...
- SAE J1939 ECU Simulation And Data Monitoring Under Linux...
- SAE J1939 Monitor Software - Setting Up PGN Simulation Such As Engine Coolant Temperature...
- SAE J1939 Simulator Generates Frequently Used SAE J1939 Signals (PGNs) For Diesel Engines...
- SAE J1939 Starter Kit With Diesel Engine Simulation Plus VIN Request Demo...
Check for the Newest Firmware Version:
- On how to check your version and downloading the newest version, see:
Please make sure you always run/install the newest program versions, gateway firmware and jCOM1939 Monitor. A mismatch between program versions may result in unpredictable results.
SAE J1939 Insights
- SAE J1939 Message Format And Interpretation Of PGNs...
- SAE J1939 Utilizes CAN Bus Message Collision During Bus Arbitration...
A Comprehensible Guide to J1939
SAE J1939 has become the accepted industry standard and the vehicle network technology of choice for off-highway machines in applications such as construction, material handling, and forestry machines. J1939 is a higher-layer protocol based on Controller Area Network (CAN). It provides serial data communications between microprocessor systems (also called Electronic Control Units - ECU) in any kind of heavy duty vehicles.
The messages exchanged between these units can be data such as vehicle road speed, torque control message from the transmission to the engine, oil temperature, and many more.
The information in this book is based on two documents of the SAE J1939 Standards Collection: J1939/21 - Data Link Layer J1939/81 - Network Management A Comprehensible Guide to J1939 is the first work on J1939 besides the SAE J1939 standards collection.
It provides profound information on the J1939 message format and network management combined with a high level of readability.