Dual CAN FD Interface Board With Real Time Clock For Raspberry Pi
CAN FD (CAN with Flexible Data-Rate) is an extension to the original CAN Bus (Classic CAN) protocol specified in ISO 11898-1. CAN FD was created to provide gains in bandwidth within automotive and industrial networks.
The CAN FD protocol has moved application software closer to "real time" through the reducing delays between instruction and transfer of data (latency) and higher bandwidth. CAN FD provides more storage capacity within the CAN Bus data frame.
While classic CAN holds a maximum of eight data bytes in a frame, CAN FD maintains up to 64 bytes. This is achieved through a decrease in relative overhead and improvements to software simplicity and efficiency when transmitting large data objects.
CAN FD also has reduced the number of undetected errors by increasing CRC-algorithm performance. CAN FD is compatible with existing CAN 2.0 networks, allowing the new protocol to function on the same network as classic CAN. CAN FD has been estimated to transmit data up to 30 times faster than classic CAN.
The PiCAN FD Duo board by Copperhill Technologies provides two-channel CAN-Bus FD capability for the Raspberry Pi. It uses the Microchip MCP2517FD CAN controller with MCP2562FD CAN transceiver. Connection are made via 4-way screw terminal. A real-time clock with battery back up is also on the board.
The board comes with an optional 5 VDC 1A SMPS that also powers the Raspberry Pi via screw terminals. The Switch mode power supply (SMPS) allows connecting an input voltage range of 6 VDC to 20 VDC suitable for industrial and automotive applications and environments.
- Microchip MCP2517FD CAN Controller
- Microchip MCP2562FD CAN transceiver
- Arbitration Bit Rate u pto 1Mbps
- Data Bit Rate upto 8Mbps
- CAN FD Controller modes
- Mixed CAN 2.0B and CAN FD mode
- CAN Bus 2.0B mode
- Conforms to ISO 11898-1:2015
- High speed SPI Interface
- CAN Bus connection via 4 way terminal
- 120 Ohm terminator ready
- Serial LCD ready
- LED indicator
- Four fixing holes, comply with Raspberry Pi Hat standard
- SocketCAN driver, appears as can0 to application
- Interrupt RX on GPIO25 and 05
- RTC with battery backup (battery not included)
- 5 VDC 1A SMPS to power Raspberry Pi and accessories from screw terminal
- Reverse polarity protection
- High efficiency switch mode design
- 6 VDC to 20 VDC input range
- PiCAN FD - CAN Bus FD Duo Board with Real Time Clock for Raspberry Pi
- PiCAN FD - CAN Bus FD Duo Board with Real Time Clock & SMPS for Raspberry Pi
Exploring Raspberry Pi: Interfacing to the Real World with Embedded Linux
Exploring Raspberry Pi is the innovator's guide to bringing Raspberry Pi to life. This book advocates engineering principles over a 'recipe' approach to give you the skills you need to design and build your projects.
The reader learns the fundamental principles in a way that transfers to any electronics, electronic modules, or external peripherals, using a "learning by doing" approach that caters to both beginners and experts.
The book begins with basic Linux and programming skills and helps you stock your inventory with standard parts and supplies. You learn how to make parts work together to achieve the goals of a project, no matter what type of components you use.
The companion website provides a full repository that structures all of the code and scripts, along with links to video tutorials and additional content that takes you deeper into your project.
The Raspberry Pi's most famous feature is its adaptability. It can be used for thousands of electronic applications, and using the Linux OS expands the functionality even more. This book helps you get the most from your Raspberry Pi, but it also gives you the fundamental engineering skills you need to incorporate any electronics into any project.
- Develop the Linux and programming skills you need to build basic applications
- Build your inventory of parts so you can always "make it work."
- Understand interfacing, controlling, and communicating with almost any component
- Explore advanced applications with video, audio, real-world interactions, and more