Universal Plug-in Module with I/O, CAN Bus, And CAN FD Interface
PEAK-System Technik has released its PCAN-MicroMod FD, a solution for the integration of a CAN FD interface and I/O functionality into custom hardware. Developers can plug the CPU module into their motherboard and configure it with the PCAN-MicroMod FD Configuration Windows software, which is included in the scope of delivery. The configuration data are transferred to the PCAN-MicroMod FD via the CAN bus connection. Multiple modules can be configured individually within a CAN bus network. In addition to mapping the signals to CAN messages, the software enables a variety of operations and processing functions for analog and digital I/O signals. Once the configuration has been transferred, the PCAN-MicroMod FD creates an autonomous CAN node with the motherboard that can forward the information from sensors, actuators, and switches via the CAN bus.
In combination with the PCAN-MicroMod FD, PEAK-System also introduced an evaluation board to the market, which is intended to expedite the development of an individual motherboard. With the so-called PCAN-MicroMod FD Evaluation Board, users can access all resources of the attached PCAN-MicroMod FD via taps, screw terminals, switches, and potentiometers and test configurations or circuits.
The PCAN-MicroMod FD can now be obtained individually or in combination with the PCAN-MicroMod FD Evaluation Board. Furthermore, another kit is available containing a CAN FD interface for the USB port and a CAN cable in addition to the processor and evaluation board.
- Plug-in board with 2 double pin strips of 50 pins each, 50 mil pitch (1.27 mm)
- NXP LPC54618 microcontroller with Arm® Cortex® M4 core
- High-speed CAN connection (ISO 11898-2)
- Complies with CAN specifications 2.0 A/B and FD
- CAN FD bit rates for the data field (64 bytes max.) from 20 kbit/s up to 10 Mbit/s
- CAN bit rates from 20 kbit/s up to 1 Mbit/s
- Microchip MCP2558FD CAN transceiver
- 8 analog inputs
- Measuring range unipolar 0 to 3 V
- Resolution 12 bit, sample rate 1 kHz
- 8 digital inputs
- 8 digital outputs
- 2 frequency outputs
- Selective configuration of up to 16 devices in a CAN network based on the module ID
- Voltage supply 3.3 V
- Dimensions: 33 x 36 mm
- Extended operating temperature range from -40 to 85 °C (-40 to 185 °F)
Teensy 3.2 With CAN FD Breakout Board
This is a CAN-Bus FD breakout board with the Microchip MCP2517FD CAN FD controller and Teensy 3.2. It has an on-board 5 VDC regulator and reverse voltage protection.
The MCP2517FD is a cost-effective and small-footprint CAN FD controller that efficiently connects to a microcontroller over an SPI interface. Consequently, the CAN FD channel presents an extension to a microcontroller that is either lacking a CAN FD peripheral, or that doesn’t have sufficient CAN FD channels.
The MCP2517FD supports both, CAN Bus data frames in the Classical format (CAN2.0 A/B) and CAN Flexible Data Rate (CAN FD) format.