Local Interconnect Network (LIN) To Controller Area Network (CAN Bus) Converter
The LIN (Local Interconnect Network) bus is an inexpensive serial communications protocol, which effectively supports remote application within a car's network. It is particularly intended for mechatronic nodes in distributed automotive applications, but is equally suited to industrial applications. It is intended to complement the existing CAN network leading to hierarchical networks within cars.
Controller Area Network (CAN Bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer. It is a message-based protocol, designed originally for multiplex electrical wiring within automobiles to save on copper, but is also used in many other contexts.
The PCAN-LIN module by phytools enables users to communicate over CAN Bus, LIN bus and serial interface. The module is supplied in a plastic enclosure. The device's firmware enables data exchange between the different bus systems, while a configuration software allows the setup of different operational modes. For instance, when configured as a LIN master, the PCAN-LIN can request data and send the incoming LIN data to the CAN Bus and/or the serial interface.
The default bit rate for LIN is 19200 bps. CAN Bus data are directly routed to LIN without offset (offset 0). The default bit rate for CAN is 500 Kbps. The High Speed version has a maximum CAN Bus speed of 1 Mbps.
- Sending/receiving LIN 1.x and 2.0 frames
- The standard bit rate is set to 19200 bit/s for LIN and to 500 kbit/s for CAN
- Electrical decoupling available between RS-232 and CAN/LIN (maximum 1 kV, optional)
- Available for use as LIN slave or master / slave
- General-purpose gateway (or router when using Acceptance Code / Acceptance Mask feature) from:
- RS-232 to LIN (and back)
- CAN Bus to LIN (and back)
- RS-232 to CAN (limited bandwidth)
- Individual LIN frames can be initiated via CAN Bus or RS-232
- Processing a user-definable LIN-ID list (scheduler with limited number of entries, cyclic handling if required)
- Voltage supply 8 - 18 V
- Optional simulation of LIN slaves. Data can be changed via CAN Bus frames (firmware must be modified)
LIN Bus Breakout Board
This is a LIN Bus breakout board with a Microchip MCP2004A transceiver.
- Compliant to SAE J2602
- Meets LIN-Bus specifications 1.3, 2.0 and 2.1
- 43 VDC Load dump protection
- 3.3 VDC or 5 VDC Logic
- Master or Slave configuration (Select master by closing JP3 )
- Vbatt input via 2.1mm jack socket or screw terminal