Vehicle Road Weather Information Sensor With Optional CAN Bus Interface
Lufft has developed the Marwis weather-sensor detecting road and runway conditions. It comes with optional CAN connectivity.
The road weather sensor can be installed on vehicles with a distance of 3 to 6 ft. above the surface and delivers information about temperatures, water film heights, dew points, road conditions (dry, moist, wet, snow, ice), ice percentages, relative humidity, and friction with a frequency of up to 100 times per second. It serves as an decision support with regard to preventive gritting.
Due to the optional CAN interface protocols, they can be integrated into existing winter maintenance monitoring networks. Similarly, the road sensor can communicate directly with the control system on gritting vehicles. A standardized CANopen profile would simplify the integration into heavy-duty vehicles and open networks such as CiA 447 (profile for special-purpose cars).
The product uses optical LED transmitters, photo receivers, pyrometer, and infrared sensors to measure the above-mentioned weather values. Typical application examples include decision support for winter maintenance operators on roads, motorways, and highways (municipalities, federal states and provinces) as well as for the de-icing of runways (higher efficiency). As important part of the IDS (Ice Detection System) in form of a RCC (Runway Condition Code), water film height (aqua-planning risk) and friction detector on airports (digital alternative to mechanic grip testers) are used.
- Parameters measured: Road condition (dry, moist, wet, ice, snow, critical wet, chemically wet), road surface temperature, ambient temperature, water film height up to 6mm, dew point temperature, relative humidity, ice percentage, friction (calculated)
- Measurement technology: Optical LED transmitters, photo receivers, pyrometer, infrared
- Product highlights: Mobile, plug and play, 100 measurement per second, multifunctional, real time thermal mapping, wireless data transfer
- Interfaces: Bluetooth, RS485, CAN-Bus
Raspberry Pi 3 System With CAN Bus Interface
The Raspberry Pi 3 System With CAN Bus Interface (PiCAN2) comes with a pre-installed Raspbian operating system.
The included PiCAN2 board provides Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus capabilities for the Raspberry Pi.
It uses the Microchip MCP2515 CAN controller with MCP2551 CAN transceiver. Connection are made via DB9 or 3-way screw terminal.
There is an easy-to-install SocketCAN driver, and programming can be accomplished in C or Python.
- Raspberry Pi 3, Model B, 1 GB RAM.
- Raspberry Pi 8GB Preloaded (NOOBS) SD Card - SanDisk Extreme 8GB microSDHC UHS-1 with speed up to 48 MB/sec.
- PiCAN2 - CAN Bus Interface for Raspberry Pi.
- The enclosure is made from High Impact Polystyrene HIPS UL94-HB material. Mounting flanges allow for wall mounting.