OBD-II CAN Bus Development Kit For Embedded Systems
Free Shipping Within The United States!
The OBD-II CAN Bus Development Kit For Embedded Systems allows you to interface with a vehicle's OBD-II diagnostics interface. The kit includes a Serial CAN-BUS module as well as a OBD-II Connector plus the cabling. We also provide a tutorial which is based on Arduino platform.
OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics, Second Generation) is a set of standards for implementing a computer based system to control emissions from vehicles. It was first introduced in the United States in 1994, and became a requirement on all 1996 and newer US vehicles. Other countries, including Canada, parts of the European Union, Japan, Australia, and Brazil adopted similar legislation. A large portion of the modern vehicle fleet supports OBD-II or one of its regional flavors.
- Up to 1Mb/s CAN-BUS rate
- DIY kit
- Multi-platform avaiable (Arduino, Raspberry, Beaglebone Board, etc.)
- Serial Communication
- Tutorial for Arduino
- Serial CAN Bus Module
- OBD-II Connector
- Screw Driver
- Cable for CAN Bus
- Grove Cable
Serial (UART) to CAN Bus Module
- 4 pin 2.0mm Grove Connector
- Power and status LED indicator
- Send and Receive LED indicator
- 3.5mm terminal to connect to CAN Bus (CAN_H & CAN_L)
- 120Ω resistor, default connected; if not needed, you must cut this pad.
OBD-II Connector And Pinout
Connecting OBD-II To Controller Board
The kit includes cabling, but you will need a soldering iron to connect the cable to the OBD-II connector. The connection to the controller board is as shown below:
Getting Started With Arduino
The following represents a demo to read some data from a vehicle with an Arduino:
- Download Arduino library of the board from Github
- Open the example "obd_demo"
For this example, we use D2 as RX of software serial, D3 as TX. So you should connect D2 to TX of Serial can bus module, and D3 to RX.
After uploading the sketch to the Arduino, you can connect OBD-II connector to your vehicle.
Open you serial monitor, try to input an OBD-PIDs and see if you can get some values from your vehicle.
More Development Resources
This manual takes the mystery out of Second-Generation On-Board Diagnostic Systems allowing you to understand your vehicles OBD-II sytem, plus what to do when the "Check Engine" light comes on, from reading the code to diagnosing and fixing the problem. Includes a comprehensive list of computer codes.
- Computer-controlled car repair made easy! For all car and light truck models manufactured since 1996.
- Understand your vehicle's On-Board Diagnostic system
- How to deal with that "Check Engine" light--from reading the code to diagnosing and fixing the problem
- Comprehensive computer codes list
- Powertrain management fundamentals
- BD-II "monitors" explained
- Generic trouble codes that cover all models!
- Manufacturer-specific trouble codes for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura vehicles
- Let your car's computer help you find the problem!
- Component replacement procedures
- Glossary and acronym list
- Fully illustrated with over 250 photographs and drawings